BaltimOregon to Maine

Locavore Cooking with Southern Efficiency and Northern Charm

Silly Rabbit. What, You Chicken?

with 11 comments

dsc01991
Hope the rabbit carcass isn’t too gruesome (see before and after pictures below). But if you can’t engage with your meat in its natural state, you shouldn’t eat it, right? For me, it’s become almost a reverent experience to butcher a whole bird or beast. Especially when you meet the farmer who raised it and slaughtered it, with care, the day before bringing the fresh meat to market.

This “Mustardy Braised Rabbit With Carrots” recipe nudged me to finally try the meat I’d been eying from “My Pharm” in nearby Monroe. The farmer Julia also specializes in vivid green leeks, which we needed for the recipe. With the carrots, broth, wine and herbs, they braised into a rich, savory sauce. The meat was tender and succulent, but rather boney. We still prefer whole roast chicken to rabbit, and even free-range ones are cheaper then bunny.

I won’t make rabbit again anytime soon, but I’m glad I tried. It’s amazing we didn’t have it in Baltimore, what with all the bunnies hopping around our apartment’s front yard, especially at night, tempting us to consider them for dinner. We had a superb rabbit ragu sauce at Simpatica dining hall in Portland last fall. My few other rabbit experiences were not pleasant though. I still gag thinking about those gefilte fish-like ground rabbit logs served to us at a youth hostel in Paris, when I was there for a school French exchange trip.

Any rabbit recipes or memories to share? Or do you, like us, still prefer the other white meats? Rabbit does have slightly more protein and less fat then chicken. Any other health or environmental benefits of rabbit over other meats?

dsc02008dsc02012

Advertisements

Written by baltimoregon

February 21, 2009 at 3:14 am

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with ,

11 Responses

1. We’ve had rabbit several times in upscale places, but have never cooked it ourselves. Our last unusual meat choice was grilled baby goat in Mendoza, Argentina paired with an excellent malbec. I don’t think I’m quite ready to integrate back to the slaughter, though! I think most people are comfortable eating only animals they consider as food, not live, cute little animals- maybe integration will lead to vegetarianism….

virmania

February 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

2. About the rescue of rabbits: SaveOrKill.com

Bob

February 21, 2009 at 1:00 pm

3. I’ve had rabbit in Paris long ago and a few other times; I” always “game” to try it but don’t think I’m motivated to cook it. It’s fun that you are such an advenuterous cook.

mom

February 21, 2009 at 1:10 pm

4. Then we’d be better off right. I like to eat plants mostly and then enjoy the meat more in moderation. How was the goat?

baltimoregon

February 21, 2009 at 2:33 pm

5. surprisingly good- a little gamey but good flavor and tender.

virmania

February 21, 2009 at 5:49 pm

6. When are you going to blog about your travels?

baltimoregon

February 21, 2009 at 6:55 pm

7. […] local ingredients, it will feel springy and seasonal. I used a small local chicken purchased from Julia’s My Pharm stand at the Corvallis Farmers Market. For the fresh tomatoes, I substituted ones recently canned in my […]

• I get rabbit from Julia too & love it. Everywhere in the world they eat rabbit without squeamishness. I LOVE to shake the hand of the farmer who raises the food I eat. In Quebec City this fall I had Lapin & Canard (rabbit & duck) that rekindled my desire to cook with rabbit again (& duck too)…Preserved rabbit leg, Homemade rabbit “rillettes”, Rabbit sausage, Preserved duck leg, Duck foie gras, Smoked duck fillet. I don’t eat a lot of meat, but when I do it had better be the best. Ingedients for the meal were ALL from small farms on Île d’Orléans in the St. lawrence River. What’s good for the French is good for me. : )

arras heiress

December 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm

8. this is terrible killing rabbits………..they deserve to live how cud someone kill and innocent rabbit. i have a pet rabbit he is very playful i dont think they deserve death….what have they ever done to us!

mystery

March 13, 2010 at 9:57 am

9. Sounds yum, Arras! Wish we could get good local duck here. Do you have recipes for rabbit “rillettes” or confit rabbit leg to share?

baltimoregon